We have made many friends and contacts through our trips to the FIBA U13 tournament in Ardres over the years but none better than Damjan Korosec and his Krvavec club from Slovenia. They will visit Ireland next week for the second time. They came in 2008 and our U17’s paid a return visit last October….
They are a fun loving bunch from a country with a great love of basketball and their traditional accordion players provide a wonderful atmosphere at their games. In a trip that would seem like total madness to the “Ryanair loving Irish”, 43 of them boarded a bus that left Cerklje this (Thursday) morning on a 5000 km round trip, taking in Brussels, Ardres, Calais, Dover, Stonehenge, Cardiff, Pembroke, Rosslare, Cork and Killarney on their way here….. and it was 30 degrees in Slovenia 🙂
Their schedule in Ireland (subject to change) is as follows:
- Sun, June 7th, arrive Rosslare @ 6,45am, drive to Cork via Rock of Cashel
- Sun, June 7th , tour Cork city and play 3 games in Neptune @ 3-6pm, then travel to Killarney to stay overnight
- Mon, July 8th , sightseeing around Killarney (possibly Ring of Kerry) and then travel to Moycullen
- Tues, July 9th, Tour of Galway city/Salthill or Connemara depending on the weather 🙂
- Tues, July 9th, Games vs Moycullen in Kingfisher NUIG from 4.30pm to 8pm (Order, U12, U17, Senior) followed by dinner in the Forge with some traditional music (Irish and Slovenian) after… all welcome..
- Weds, July 10th, They will tour Connemara/Mayo or Galway City/Salthill depending on weather again and then travel to see Moycullen Minors play An Ceathru Rua in Spiddal @ 7.30pm
- Thurs, July 11th, Depart for Dublin where they will do some further sightseeing and then will play two games against Kubs before departing on the overnight ferry to Holyhead
Here is a link to their website: http://sd-krvavec.blogspot.ie/
Thanks to all the Moycullen parents and club members who have given up their time and opened their houses to host our visitors….
Some photos from U17 trip to Cerklje/Krvavec: